Advertisement

Oshun and Shango

topic posted Mon, March 29, 2010 - 9:19 PM by  Mari
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have Oshun made and Shango is my father . These two orishas have much in common and theyre children share many of the same obstacles in life. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the dynamics between these two orishas and the dynamics between theyre children. . I can go on and talk about this but I want to hear peoples thoughts before I do. Since even before I was initiated I have found that Shangos children have been my best friends. Also, I know the reverse has happened to other people. A Shango priest or priestess best friends being Oshun s children. The dynamics between these two energies are so incredibly strong . Let me know your thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>
posted by:
Mari
Miami
Advertisement
  • Well, Mama...since nobody else has commented yet, I will try and start it off.
    For those who don't know yet, I have Shangó made, and my mother is Oshún.
    Children of both Orishas are too often judged by the flaws that there orishas exhibit in the pataki (legends of the religion). I would love to say that this is wrong to do across the board, but it saddens me to say that sometimes it is justified. See...too many santeros make the mistake of using the stories of the orishas as an excuse for acting out immoral or unevolved behaviors. For example, Shangó had many wives according to the legends, and in fact historically, the Yoruba did practice polygamy. But to take this as an excuse for being a womanizer is way off!
    Likewise, Oshún loves beautiful things and always has a mirror with her in the legends...but for a child of Oshún to think this means its ok to put their vanity as high priority is a huge mistake.
    Just as other religions have legends that are meant to teach through symbolism...parables...like in the bible, so does ours.
    Shangós many sexual excapades are symbolic for his need for fulfillment in life...but the only true fulfillment is spiritual. And, as children of Shangó, if we try to fill that void with physical pleasure instead of spiritual enlightenment, we will always be trying for the rest of our lives.
    Likewise with Oshún, the mirror does not represent her vanity, though she certainly has the beauty to be proud of, it represents looking at oneself for the answers to your problems....introspection. Ultimately, both of these Orishas, and their children are only able to evolve spiritually by seeking TRUE fulfillment...not shallow pleasures.
    • Unsu...

not all children of Shango have Oshun as their mother rite...
      • thats correct. i have known children of shango whose mother was yemaya, oya, and the female camino of Obatala...
        • Unsu...

I always had this feeling that yemaya is my mother..but i dont know for sure...
          • Unsu...

i will have to wait to find out...
            • so a female obatala and chango now thats interesting
              • Unsu...

there is no female Shango Anthoney, but there is a female camino de Obatala..
                • antonio i think u read it wrong unless i made a mistake
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

U MADE A MISTAKE....u said that there is a feamale Obatala and Shango, only female camino de Obatala, NOT Shango....
                    • Unsu...

female camino of Obatala only, NOT Shango...
                      • lmao i know shango is a boy ...its like saying jennifer and mark im not refering to both of them being girls...all i said female obatala and chango...it was a thought i didnt know ur parents could be a female obatala and(male)shango...i wrote it right u jst misunderstood wat i said
                        • Unsu...

anyways probably,,,the way u put it confused me....but yes u have it rite...
                          • To me Oshun is the most misunderstood Orisha ,a lot of peoples perceptions of her is of her sexuality not knowing that Oshun according to Alot of patakis( legends)she was the only Orisha able to convince Olofi (God) not to destroy the earth for its sins in this aspect she is known as Ibu Kole .Also when you do research about her she is a warrior and a witch in every camino and fiercely intelligent she is the personification of sacrifice for people as a whole especially her children .Oshun as a variety of children so to say well her children are like this is to limit the very mystery of Oshuns manifestations .She is no joke a lot of people in the religion will tell you she is not the one who's bad side anyone ever wants to get on .I was told she give a person one maybe two warnings if your lucky and after that your ass is out of here and it does not matter what Orisha as your head nobody argues with Oshun.She is the one that makes life worth living for every species on the earth and through intelligence as subdued the strongest male Orishas .They say in the beginning Olofi(God)sent sixteen or seventeen Irunmoles (beings of light ) to earth to develope everything and none of ther other Irunmoles (beings of light )included Oshun in anything they did because they were all male and she was the only female .Time went on and everything they did became unsuccessful and things started to die off so they went back to orun(heaven)and ask Olofi (god) why was it that none they did was having any success ,Olofi explain to them that because they excluded the only female Irunmole from what they did she removed her ashe (energy)from life and without her ashe nothing can continue living so they had to make amends to Oshun so everything could have a smoothe sailing .because of this she is said to be the first Aje (witch)on earth Nana Buruku being the first in the universe.
    • Damian..i must say..i really enjoyed reading your note.you hit it on the nose...;-) thank u for shareing that...its a reminder to those that have forgotten.thank u
  • Ian
    Ian
    offline 0
    I would think that our experiences as their children are very much affected by our path of Oshun as well as the Odu we're crowned. I have been told that I may not date or marry a child of Shango, and that the child of one cannot crown a child of the other, nor do workings for that crown, but friends are friends no matter who they are crowned. I'm very accepting of most people, but I was told that if they don't like me then it doesn't matter. I find my mother Oshun to be both more familiar and more mysterious every day, and some of the lessons she's taught me have come in the strangest forms.
    • Unsu...

wow it is so true lan I have Ochun crowned (Ololodi) she has showen me alot about myself and is always blessing me. I love her dearly :)
      • THERE IS NO WHERE IN OUR TEACHINGS THAT OSHUN/SHANGO PRIESTESSES CAN MARRY OR DATE
        UNLESS IT IN YOUR ITA

MY FIANCEE HAS SHANGO MADE AND I AM A DAUGHTER OF OSHUN AND I HAVENT BEEN TOLD THAT
        NOT TO MENTION YOUR MISSING OUT ON SOME GOOD STUFF
        • In regards to hijos de Shango getting together with hijos de Oshun or vise versa, my madrina is una hija de Oshun and I am un hijo de Shango. Before I found out who my crown was, she gave me my elekes, with Oshun permission. even after it was known who my head belongs to, Oshun has always welcomed my Madrina to work with me. The problem came during my Ita, where MY Odu stated that hijos de Oshun could not touch my head within the religion.

My madrina will always be my madrina for as long as Olofi allows but she can no longer work with me within the religion. With that said, there is no problem with hijos de Shango being or working with hijos de Oshun. Actually, it's very common, with the exception of what is said in the Ita.

Ashe pa todos,
          Rafi
  • Peace!!!
    I am new to the orisha.tribe experience. I am a practicioner of Lukumi. I have received my Hand of Ifa, but I haven't been initiated yet. When I did receive Ifa I was read as a child of Sango. When my godparents initiate someone whatever orisha that is marks their head is synonomous with the Orisha they are initiated to. I noticed that some people in this group have made a distinction when they say I have had Oshun "made" but I am a "child" of Shango. Can you shed some light on the distinction and give me some wisdom on this please. Ase'
  • @Mari
    Will you explain please what you mean by you "made" Oshun but you are a "child" of Shango. I am in lukumi. When my godparents initiate someone, the orisha that Ifa perscribed when they received their Hand of Ifa, is the orisha they are made a priest/priestess of, and that person is also considered a "child" of that same orisha. When the person is initiated the balancing orisha or "feet" is determined at that time. According to my godparents, their is no difference between what orisha you are a "child" of and what Ifa has said for one to be a priest/priestess of. They are the same. I need some clarity on your experience. Peace.

Recent topics in "Orisha Devotees"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Giving Ayaguna Rum? T. 15 July 24, 2014
7/19/2014 ITADOGUN Fagbemijo Am... 0 July 20, 2014
Question for Ikofa/Plante for a Child Jessica79 5 July 14, 2014
Daughter of Oshun? Rakita 4 July 10, 2014