Advertisement

experiences receiving Olokun

topic posted Tue, October 16, 2012 - 12:45 PM by  LaChicaRosa
Share/Save/Bookmark
Next month I will be receiving Olokun...I just want to know what to expect from those who have received this orisha. What is the energy of Olokun like in your home? How do you care for and serve Olokun? What offerings do you give Olokun? what does Olokun help bring or manifest to your life? Why did you have to receive Olokun? I've heard it helps one with wealth and also with connections to the egun but what have you been told who have received Olokun?

Also, were you taught to regard Olokun as male or female?

I'm very excited to receive this great orisha. I look forward to any responses you guys may offer....
posted by:
LaChicaRosa
Pittsburgh
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: experiences receiving Olokun

Tue, October 16, 2012 - 2:20 PM
    Don't you think you should ask your godparents these questions? After all you will be receiving Olokun next month from them. Your question seem very basic, why haven't they explained in detail how you will be receiving it, what adimus you put down. What does the orisa stand for. Did it come out in a reading with caracol or with ifa that you need it?
    • Re: experiences receiving Olokun

Tue, October 16, 2012 - 8:04 PM
      Actually, I have been told about Olokun and why I am receiving it. I ask on tribe because I want to know OTHERS' experiences with the orisha. We already know, due to the debates that go on in orisha communities, that every ile has their different twist on the orisha and traditions. Therefore, it is interesting TO ME the differences that may be found when I ask other worshippers their experiences or traditions. I KNOW what I was told about MY Olokun: I asked because I wanted to know what OTHER people do for their orisha. Just like with Oshun: I know a girl who likes to give her Oshun Ferrero Rocher chocolates (the ones wrapped in gold), whereas another child just stick to giving his Oshun fruits like oranges. Some people give their Eleggua rum, some give him beer. It is just interesting to me that different people do things differently. As for my ceremony, I know why I was told (through caracol/diloggun) why I have to receive Olokun...other people may have been told various other reasons to receive Olokun.

Now do you understand why I ask?

Tue, October 16, 2012 - 8:07 PM
      i totally agree with you olo,and besides the beauty of recieving the santo, is not knowing whats going to take place at the ceremony.

Tue, October 16, 2012 - 8:17 PM
        I agree obayoko. But most respectfully, I think you all are misunderstanding my post: I did not and am not asking to be told what happens in the ceremony or secrets of making Olokun. I am merely asking how other people feel this energy manifest in their lives or how they relate to this orisha. I do not come here to ask to spoil the ceremony by telling me in advance: i AGREE that the ceremony is more beautiful when you DON'T know....what I'm asking, however, is, again, other people and their experiences with receiving Olokun. NOT the ceremonial receiving but rather how their lives were changed AFTER the ceremony. How does this energy feel in your home? For instances, some people say Eleggua gives a very playful feeling in their house and Oshun sometimes manifests as a party like energy but sometimes very stern, especially when she is put in the kitchen to watch over the house. This is what I mean: everyone has a different story to tell....I'm not asking to be told the ins and outs and behind the scenes of the ceremony.

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 6:18 AM
          " I am merely asking how other people feel this energy manifest in their lives or how they relate to this orisha. I do not come here to ask to spoil the ceremony by telling me in advance: i AGREE that the ceremony is more beautiful when you DON'T know....what I'm asking, however, is, again, other people and their experiences with receiving Olokun."

One is hoping that this is your head spirit...the one that gave you life...because if it isn't then what are you doing? And even then a ceremony done incorrectly could cost you your life. But to answer your question is this....

As different as we are as INDIVIDUALS is as different as there are when it comes to spirits. Two people may have the same spirit but these two spirits may respond differently. Very few diasporans understand this. Because they have been taught cookie cutter initiations for particular spirits this understanding eludes many. As an example...I and my husband are both Dattatreya but mine is less tolerant, more severe, will offend easily and a host of other things. Yet, they are both sticklers for the correct way and relentlessly hold to the tenants of the spirits and following the letter of the law on spiritual issues. That is the hallmark of a Dattatreya. He is Lord Dattatreya, the LORD OF CREATION! Each spirit has it's own INDIVIDUAL personality as it were. That is why during inititations, into traditional African Spiritual Systems, one must divine at EVERY JUNCTURE to find out what the spirit wants. NOT what the cookie cutter initiation one may have been taught says but what the SPIRIT HIMSELF says. THAT is spirit work in it's purest form.

As for Olokun, this spirit is called Agwe in Benin. It took months, of initiation, in an African temple, for me to activate this vodun/orisha. I say ACTIVATE because these spirits, as revealed by Ifa, actually live within us. We come to the earth with them. It is the initiation process that tears down the wall that separates us from them and their ability to actively control us. We, in essence, put ourselves in their hands. The problem for me was....this WAS NOT my head spirit. So, was the money wasted? That is debatable. I have the spirit Agwe amongst numerous others.

But, to cut a long story short. Each spirit manifests themselves differently for each person they live within. EACH has its own UNIQUE PERSONALITY. No spirit is the same... So, it is difficult for us to say how it would manifest itself within you. It is, therefore, only YOU would be able to tell that.

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 9:03 AM
            ****" I say ACTIVATE because these spirits, as revealed by Ifa, actually live within us. We come to the earth with them. It is the initiation process that tears down the wall that separates us from them and their ability to actively control us. We, in essence, put ourselves in their hands. "*****

YES Wedosi, I KNOW this already and I agree with this. I am tired of so many people thinking the orisha or lwa or vodoun are OUTSIDE of us, when they are IN us and the installation of the ashe during ceremony only activates that spirit's frequency that is already in us. I tell people this all the time. i understand this and understood it before you wrote this. i understand this and i'm not initiated yet.

AGAIN I have ALREADY been told about Olokun, why i must receiving it, and how to take care of it once the ceremony is over. I already said this. And YES I aready said I KNOW that the orisha are parts of our psyche and each manifest differently because it intertwines with EACH INDIVIDUAL'S PERSONALITY. this is why it is EGUN before ORISHA and this is why there is no ORISHA without ORI!!! It must be the SELF first. I don't know why people on here are talking to me like I'm in third grade and I don't know the very BASIC tenets mentioned above. it is common sense! whoever had to pay for an initiation to figure out the orisha are already in you was a stupid person, in my opinion. As I said, I'm not initiated yet and I understand THAT activation process. I only wait joyfully to see what other mysteries will unfold within AND BEYOND and AFTER the igbodu!!! I am smarter than people realize, and I praise MY ORI every day for the wisdom that unfolds before me and the blessing and humility that comes from experiencing the orisha within myself, unlocking their secrets, and distinguishing the differences in their vibrations and energetic manifestations.

AGAIN people on tribe are missing my point. I AGREE with you Wedosi what you said:

*****"As different as we are as INDIVIDUALS is as different as there are when it comes to spirits. Two people may have the same spirit but these two spirits may respond differently."*****

THAT IS PRECISELY THE QUESTION I MEANT TO CONVEY WHEN I STARTED THIS POST. It would be RIDICULOUS for me to ask anyone on tribe how Olokiun will manifest within ME! I was asking HOW DOES OLOKUN MANIFEST IN YOUR LIVES?!?!?!?! why is that so hard for people to decipher? I could have sworn I wrote the question in plain english! why is this turning into an argument and why do people feel they need to "school" me, telling me what I ALREADY know???? I was merely asking people for their experiences. People talk about their experiences with their orisha all the time here on tribe. why is MY thread any different?

I mean no disrespect, but I don't look to be insulted by being spoken to like a child. And I'm not directing that solely at you Wedosi, but whoever has misinterpreted my thread and feels for some unknown reason I'm trying to ask something so juvenile. Peace to everyone.

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 10:40 AM
              Bendicion,

LOL, LaChicaRosa, I was waiting for the moment when you would say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Seriously though, you did ask about how to attend to Olokun and adimus and maybe this should be left for your Godparents to teach and guide you. Since you are so close to receiving Olokun, it won't be long untill you will have your own experiences to share and will be better able to compare with others. I am like you in that I enjoy hearing about others peoples experiences with Orisha as it sometimes enhances and leads to a deeper understanding of my own and I could read in your original questioning that you were not asking for folks to define your future experiences with Olokun for you, so I understand where you were coming from.Wedosi will rarely miss an opportunity to get on her soapbox and spout her brand of Orisha Traditions while slightly belittling others so no great surprise there. I haven't been marked to receive Olokun so I can't help you there but at least you have something to look forward to.

Take Care

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 11:56 AM
                Hi LaChica, I also understood from your post that you were asking people to share experiences with you. I think that's fine, it's interesting to me, too, when people talk about their personal experiences with the Orichas. I think perhaps the confusion came about because you were asking people to share their experiences before you had had your own. If you had posted this after you got your Olokun and talked about how you felt and how the experience changed you, then others who had Olokun would probably have done the same. Come back to this thread in a couple of months and tell people that you have received Olokun and how that makes you feel, and you will probably get much different responses. Like Wandering I haven't been marked to receive Olokun so have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I'm still interested in hearing about your experiences, when you have them.

As we all know, online communities are difficult to negotiate at times. I understand why you feel disrespected, inevitably that seems to happen sometimes. Try not to take it personally. I can tell you from my own experience that when you are an aleyo, or even as a newly initiated priest of Ocha or Ifa, elders will talk to you as if you were a baby. They should always be respectful, of course, but part of our religious belief (at least in my rama) is that when you are crowned, you're born again, you ARE a baby, and the elders have to teach you and correct you, and sometimes they do talk to you as if you were 3 years old. That's part of the tradition. Before I was crowned, I can't tell you how many times elders told me that I shouldn't ask this or that, I had no right to voice an opinion, etc. They weren't doing it to be mean to me. They were reminding me that this is a religion that is passed on in a traditional way from elder to younger, and in the early phases of your spiritual journey, you're supposed to submit to a subservient position sometimes, it's how you learn. I will say, however, that my elders always treated me with respect and affection, and as I started to grow spiritually they shared more and more with me, I never felt they were putting me down or treating me badly. I just needed to learn humility (and I did!!). Now that I'm a bit older in the religion, there are times when I find myself telling aleyos to wait and see, ask the godparent, etc. because this is how I was trained to answer aleyos. It's what people said to me. This is harder to negotiate in an online community, because we don't really know each other well. I hope you will continue to ask questions and participate (and expect respect from others), while at the same time understand that some people are reluctant to talk too much about certain things due to the way they've been brought up in the religion. Hearing different opinions sometimes means hearing things that can come across as condescending or insulting. If you can let those comments roll off you, all for the better. Blessings to you.

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 1:11 PM
                  Thank you to Wandering and Eni! ASHE! thanks for your peacefulness and understanding :) like Oshun's fans the two of you have come and cooled off and blown away gently the slightly smoldering tension before it flared :) I will do as you said, Eni, and come back after I've received Olokun so I can have something to contribute so my questions aren't misinterpreted

Bendecion

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 2:25 PM
                " Wedosi will rarely miss an opportunity to get on her soapbox and spout her brand of Orisha Traditions while slightly belittling others so no great surprise there. "

:lol: Ahhhhh, the seething envy...
                Wedosi, you STILL got it girl! :lol:

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 2:19 PM
              " I mean no disrespect, but I don't look to be insulted by being spoken to like a child. And I'm not directing that solely at you Wedosi,"

I by no means was attempting to insult you; but, the way you responded certainly doesn't make me think you are Agwe. Only a Mami Wata has this type of temper tantrum...

I know! I'm a master! :lol:

Chil', let me say this... get on a plane and go to Africa. You need to connect into your ancestry. That is where you began because it is through them that we have inherited all that we are spiritually. Just some advice...take it or leave it!

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 2:44 PM
                Honestly, Wedosi, I really wish and pray for the opportunity to return to Africa. I am saving up for the trip as we speak lol...I would love to receive initiation directly on the continent but however my Ori and the Spirits lead me and mean for me to go, I'll end up there :)

No, Agwe/Olokun were not divined as my head: I've been marked a child of Eshu and Oshun but I was told I need to receive Olokun for working with my ancestors and for my children, especially my daughter (she's still a baby) who is marked Two Waters and who Olokun protects fiercely.

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 5:21 AM
                  " No, Agwe/Olokun were not divined as my head: I've been marked a child of Eshu and Oshun but I was told I need to receive Olokun for working with my ancestors and for my children, especially my daughter (she's still a baby) who is marked Two Waters and who Olokun protects fiercely.

My dear, when you ignore your head spirit and initiate into others it is really a backward agenda. When one initiates into one's head spirit...that which gave you life...the other spirits follow. You don't need Olokun to work with your ancestors you need the ANCESTORS themselves. Ifa can tell you WHO they are and WHAT you are in the spirit world...priestess, vodunsi, diviner, etc... But hey, it's YOUR decision.... Take care.

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 5:01 AM
    " Next month I will be receiving Olokun...I just want to know what to expect from those who have received this orisha. What is the energy of Olokun like in your home? How do you care for and serve Olokun? What offerings do you give Olokun? what does Olokun help bring or manifest to your life? Why did you have to receive Olokun? I've heard it helps one with wealth and also with connections to the egun but what have you been told who have received Olokun?

Also, were you taught to regard Olokun as male or female?"

If the person initiating you cannot answer these BASIC questions, about this spirit, then not only are you in the WRONG place; but, this person could cause you irreparable spiritual harm.

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 12:24 PM
      Dattatreya?

Wedosi, I thought you practiced Benin-style Vodu... have you become Hindu on us? :)

OgbeDi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 2:05 PM
        OgbeDi, prehaps you do not understand that the Hindu spirits are part of the Mami Wata pantheon. My father's spirit is Dattatreya, my grandfather Ganesh, my sister Krishna. These are Mami spirits! Don't worry few people in the diaspora (outside of Africa) know this...

In some African families, one can only take the throne seat unless they are a child of a particular vodun/orisha/spirit. That spirit is usually Dattatreya to whom is named Den'su in Africa. These spirits are UNIVERSAL called different names in different cultures. However, it is the preference of my spirit who chooses to be referred as Dattatreya. When you travel to the lands of Mami Wata you would come to know these things. But do not fear, I am here to teach you! :lol:

Wedosi

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 6:13 PM
          ROFLMAOTID...

OK, Ma, sure... the Hindu deities are the "Secret Wisdom of Africa". Next up, the African pope, Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, with a special guest appearance by Walter Mercado.

Congratulations... you have officially jumped the shark. You had no credibility before, but now you have truly lost it in public. Good luck with that.

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 5:12 AM
            Wow! OgbeDi, how sad...

You have NEVER heard of Den'su in Africa....Dattatreya? Your ignorance, on the subject, is really sad. And you are mocking ME because I am enlightening you on the Mami pantheon of the spirits to whom I am a priestess? A woman who is married to the Supreme Chef du Vodun of Mami....BEHUMBEZA... and have 2 temples, in Africa, with over 500 vodunsi worldwide. It is YOU who are the joke dear...:lol: How do you attempt to take the TRUTH and turn it upside down because you are ignorant to the facts? Sad indeed...

Wedosi

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 6:31 AM
            " OK, Ma, sure... the Hindu deities are the "Secret Wisdom of Africa". Next up, the African pope, Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, with a special guest appearance by Walter Mercado.

Congratulations... you have officially jumped the shark. You had no credibility before, but now you have truly lost it in public. Good luck with that."

Hey OgbeDi... Why don't you check out Prof. Judy Rosenthal's book "Possession, Ecstacy & Law" and read where she discusses the great Mami Wata spirit called "Den'su", in Africa, on pages 44, 207, & 217. I am sure you will find it enlightening. :lol: Also, do a web search and check out ALL of the other writings on this great spirit...Den'su/Dattatreya. Men have such difficulty with women of POWER & KNOWLEDGE...:)

Wedosi

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 7:00 AM
              For those interested here is another link, to a book, that will give you info. on how the Hindu spirits are part of the African Mami Wata pantheon of Vodun especially Den'su/Dattatreya. All Mami Wata worshipers, in Nigeria, Benin, Togo and elsewhere recognize Den'su/Dattatreya as part of the Mami pantheon.

tinyurl.com/9evml2z

Wedosi

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 7:08 AM
                Oh, and by the way the book discusses Affi YeYe the Mami Priestess that initiated me into Mami Wata. You will find her photographs in my tribe photo album.:)

Wedosi

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 6:39 PM
                  Yes, and then the Dalai Lama came back from Shangri-La and brought you Green Tara, who is also African, because the Tibetans originated in Benin.

Stop the madness. Just stop. Any suspicion that you didn't find your supposed "initiation" in the bottom of a CrackerJack box is being swiftly eroded.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 4:16 AM
                    "Yes, and then the Dalai Lama came back from Shangri-La and brought you Green Tara, who is also African, because the Tibetans originated in Benin.

Stop the madness. Just stop. Any suspicion that you didn't find your supposed "initiation" in the bottom of a CrackerJack box is being swiftly eroded."

:lol: OgbeDi, you are just too ridiculous for words! :lol: In the face of photographs showing my initiation, in Africa, with the Supreme Chiefs of Vodun standing by my side, in the face of my extensive knowledge on the matter of spirits, in the face of PROOF (articles listed) that you don't know what you are talking about in reference to Hindu spirits and Vodun, it does not surprise me that you are STILL perpetuating the myth that I am inauthentic. What it really proves and WHY you are attempting this is because MY AUTHENTICITY acutely highlights your IN AUTHENTICITY!

So, folks, those of you with simple COMMON SENSE....just TAKE NOTE!

Wedosi

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 12:39 PM
                      OK, if you really want to go there.... Your photographs show you (maybe) standing around with a bunch of people who are clearly Vodun priests. You have a picture of you (maybe) showing a banner showing that you are an American being initiated. It's laughable that you claim "extensive knowledge" - in fact, you just recycle the same nonsensical statements over and over like a broken record, trying to make yourself sound important.

Second, you are apparently one of MANY African American women who got on a magic carpet of credit cards and went to receive initiation-by-injection from Dagbo Houna, who apparently stuck it to every American he could find. He certainly did the same to Sharon Caulder as well. The fact that you slept with the old man didn't give her any "spiritual power"... and it doesn't seem to have done much for you either. I don't think "Vodun priest's jump-off" is a valid ritual title.

Third, amazing how your "spiritual thrones" and "extensive responsibilities" in Africa have allowed you the leisure to spend years and years sitting in America doing nothing more than spouting off at the lip in online forums. Funny how none of those African people seems to need or miss you. Makes you wonder just how valuable you were/are, doesn't it?

And honestly, if you think my Ifa initiation was invalid, you're welcome to do so; I have 16 awos in Miami who can tell anyone otherwise, and a videotape of me getting my ass beat in my iyoye. Nobody really cares what you think, "my dear". All your supposed authority descends from a classic case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, a hookup fifteen years ago, and a collection of "initiations" that anyone with the American dollars could buy in Benin. Hell if you took enough money they would proclaim you Queen of the Cosmos, with a banner and all - and clearly did, in your case. Hope you stimulated the local economy appropriately.

If (and that's a big if) you actually know anything about Vodun, not being able to speak French, good for you - but that's not what is done in Cuba, it's not what is done in Nigeria, and it's NOT WHAT I DO. And lucky for me... clearly I don't have a big enough ego for it. What I can say, as a Lukumi babalawo, is this:

You don't know jack about the Yoruba, you don't know jack about Odun, and you don't know jack about Ifa.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... maybe you should spend more time studying and less time throwing shit like a monkey, and maybe get some humility, and you'll be amazed how much better your life becomes.

Ogbe Di

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 1:09 PM
                        wow OgbeDi is going in! amazing...

Wedosi, it is true that the picture in your avatar looks like an older, darker woman than that which is in your tribe album...just saying....again, as I AM one who is NOT crowned, but have received elekes, Egbe, Eshu, Oggun, and Osossi, I will never try to say who is actually initiated or not.

OgbeDi, peraphs Wedosi speaks on orisha because in Vodoun they serve all the Nations? I know in Haitian Vodoun, they have the Nago nation which includes all the Spirits we serve in Yoruba Ifa as orisha....maybe it's the same in Dahomeyan Vodoun and that's why Wedosi feels she can speak with authority on the orisha even if she hasn't been initiated into Ifa as it is practiced in Yorubaland, Brazil, Cuba, Oyotunji, and U.S.

I'm just trying to intercede and play devil's advocate for a moment lol, it's the Eshu coming out of me....OgbeDi, do you know of anyone in the orisha communities that can vouch for her initiation statusi? I do know of an Iyalosha who KNOWS Wedosi but we've never spoken about her status of initiation because it never was relevant to anything that had to do with our ile and it was no point in gossiping or speculating on Wedosi's lineage when she was not involved in our house, simple as that...

there is, however, a poignant difference between practicing differently according to different traditions and simply making up stuff (see: Gardner's "invention" of Wicca, Bertiaux's "invention" of Gnostic Vodoun--involving WEREWOLVES of all things!-- and L. Ron Hubbard's "invention" of Scientology, both having originally been members of the OTO with Croweley and deciding to start their own branched off "traditions" of hashed together nonsense)....

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 1:31 PM
                          Iboru iboya ibochiche

I am officially impressed... most people haven't heard of Bertiaux. He was a disciple of a man named Kenneth Grant, who did wayyyyyy too many hallucinogens. Grant had some sort of loose contact with Crowley when Grant was very very young and Crowley was very very old, and split from the "official" OTO to found the "Typhonian" OTO. Grant was a giant devotee of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which in turn influenced Bertiaux and his "Vodoun Gnostic Workbook". Quite a collection of kooks :)

I don't know anyone who knows her, and honestly I don't really care except that she's actively misleading people who may not know better. She may very well have received everything she says - as I said above, in much of west Africa (sadly) the animist religions are under siege by Islamist militant Muslims from the north and evangelical Christianity from the coasts. It is possible to receive ANYTHING, any initiation, real or not, by simply showing up with cash in hand. Treasured family heirlooms of massive spiritual power end up in junk shops; priceless ceremonial artworks and ritual objects that are hundreds of years old are destroyed as the tools of "devil worship". There are still plenty of real priests left, but they spend a lot of time worrying. What other religions couldn't do over the centuries, easy money might do in fifty years.

I will say that of all the west Africans I have ever met (and I've met a lot, from Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Sierra Leone) I can't think of a single one that was rude, pompous, arrogant, or that would even dream of telling someone that their way of doing things was the only one true way. The only ones I have discussed religion with were Yoruba from Nigeria, but all of them without exception have been polite, interested, and eager to share how they work and curious to see how we work in Lukumi. Only the Americans who went to Africa act like, well, like rude entitled Americans. This whole hyperjudgemental, my-way-is-the-right-way is just the Baptist church lady behavior moved to a new and more exciting venue.

Onareo

Ogbe Di

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 2:16 PM
                          " I do know of an Iyalosha who KNOWS Wedosi but we've never spoken about her status of initiation because it never was relevant to anything that had to do with our ile and it was no point in gossiping or speculating on Wedosi's lineage when she was not involved in our house, simple as that... "

How will anyone know me, in America, when I was initiated and trained, by world renowned priests and priestesses like Dagbo Hounon Houna and Affi YeYe, in Africa, as evidenced in photos (some of which are in my tribe album) and have a temple there? Africa is a world away from the United States, due to language, very few folks are familiar with Beninese Vodun and have contact with Beninese priests. But soon that will change.

But I invite ANYONE who wants to experience true authentic vodun, or African spiritual practices, to come to Benin, as my guest, to Temple BEHUMBEZA.

Wedosi

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 1:41 PM
                        OgbeDi:

My dear, you are not even worth debating anymore, because, you are coming from a place of severe ignorance! It is through these recent posts that I now understood just how uninformed, in the spirits, you really are. You have NOT been to Africa so; therefore, you cannot speak as to what is going on in Africa. It is only in AFRICA that one can receive authenticity in Traditional African Spiritual Systems. So, as for me this conversation is over!

The undertones of misogyny is most apparent in all of your writings, to me; and, I hope common sense folk take note.

Wedosi

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 2:46 PM
                          LOL... whatever makes your ego feel better "my dear". I am quite familiar with what goes on in Africa, and know quite a few African awos who would have the same opinion of your shenanigans that I have expressed.

Just for the record, though, someone disbelieving YOU personally does not make them a misogynist, since you are not "all women". It has nothing to do with women; it has to do with you and your tirades and overblown claims. Nice to see you remember your word-a-day calendar terms, though.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 5:38 PM
                            " I am quite familiar with what goes on in Africa, and know quite a few African awos ..."

Ahhhh, isn't that PRECIOUS dear! You KNOW a few African awos....I quess that's equal to my living with a few!

Smootchies!

Wedosi

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 6:19 PM
                              LOL... well, nice for you that you have slept your way through Africa... And you're bragging about this? Oh that's right... you brag about EVERYTHING. ROFLMAO... keep going, you're clowning yourself with every post.

Sat, October 20, 2012 - 5:08 AM
                                You see how misogynistic you are? You do not know me personally and yet you are CLAIMING that I have slept my way through Africa simply because I live there....geez that's soooo sad. A low blow huh OgbeDi. But your statements simply show you for what you really are! A sad little character who dislikes STRONG, POWERFUL, and KNOWLEDGEABLE women in the spirit world.

Hey sweetie! Let's change the subject! Show us some of your INITIATION photos. Tell us about your spiritual pedigree. What is your ancestry? What part of Africa does your ancestors hail from? What spirits do you carry? To whom did you inherit your Ifa? Mother's or father's side? I'm sure as a BIG Ifa priest you know all these things....you misogynistic little man. Do you not understand that in the spirit world some of the strongest, who serve the spirits, happen to be women? Oh, I guess not...who have referred in earlier posts about these little Hoodoo priestesses in New Orleans not knowing me. Of course they wouldn't! Their kind of different from a person initiated and trained at the source...AFRICA! But that's ok sweetie. It's all good! ALL will know me soon! So, have a FABULOUS day! I've got work to do!:)

Wedosi

Sat, October 20, 2012 - 5:21 AM
                                  Ahhhhh, you ignorant men! I just got it! You think that my saying I live with a few awos means I sleep around...how disgusting! :lol: My goodness you guys live in the gutter! Sweeties, I am married and within my and my husband's family are awos. So, living in our compound are numerous awos....cousins, brothers, in-laws of all kinds....kings etc. We are a FAMILY of priest/priestesses. We are Priest(s) of AGASSOU and LANPON. We are Ashanti and Ogboni coming from my mother's side. Spirit work is a FAMILY affair in Africa!

Do you people not go to school? How sickening....

Wow, Wedosi, these people are just not on your level...give it up! It it wasn't for those who follow my writings, on tribe, I would.

Wedosi

Sun, October 21, 2012 - 11:09 AM
                                    @ogbe di:
                                    i have been to the same village wedosi went, but i did not meet her spiritual family over there. i had different experiences to her. the only thing i can say to this thread: you cannot run your life with creditcards in ouidah. they won`t help and getting in contact with spirits does not always need money.

Wed, October 17, 2012 - 6:25 PM
          Wedosi what fuckery are you saying

I guess you can say that since it all started in africa its all connected like the pinky toe bone connected tothe dickbone lol

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 7:41 PM
            Hey if cubans can mix 4 different african religion into one why cant wedosi do the same

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 8:47 PM
              Lol cliff I'm dying ha ha.

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 10:48 PM
                excuse my intervention, but i think in that point wedosi is right. if you are looking pictures of mami wata - temples in westafrica you will find a lot of hindu spirits included there.
                indeed i think one of the main powers driving the religion is its possibility to adapt to so many different circumstances and to include whatever is offered. some spirits like hindu pics, other spirits like catholic pics for their representation.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 4:30 AM
                  " excuse my intervention, but i think in that point wedosi is right. if you are looking pictures of mami wata - temples in westafrica you will find a lot of hindu spirits included there.
                  indeed i think one of the main powers driving the religion is its possibility to adapt to so many different circumstances and to include whatever is offered. some spirits like hindu pics, other spirits like catholic pics for their representation."

lena, these folks don't have a clue as to what is in Africa. That is why the SEVERE IGNORANCE! You, at least, to your credit, spent months there and have seen things for yourself. You, at least, to your credit, sought to take authentic vodun from there even though I still ask myself why you avoided Dagbo Hounon, the Supreme Chef's temple if you in fact did.

What they do not understand, lena, is that these spirits were here before the world was ever formed. They are the creators of the universe, so, therefore, manifest themselves in ALL cultures. For someone who claims to be an Ifa priest, like OgbeDi, and to not have the capacity to know these things or know these spirits, for that matter, is to highlight either severe incompetence or that of inauthenticy. I argue for BOTH!

Wedosi
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 11:15 AM
                    Bendicion,

Wedosi, I do not envy you simply because, while respectively in two different Traditions, we are both intent on seeking out communion with the Ancestors and African bases Spirits. I just do not like like your tendency to run slipshod over other people's Orisha/Ancestral experiences sometimes. Someone asks for people's experiences with Olokun as it has been marked for her to receive this Orisha and you are saying she does not need to receive this Orisha...that there is faulty spiritual reasoning in the explanation on why she is receiving Olokun. If that is not enough to conclude one is ignoring their Head Spirit simply in the act of receiving another is incongrous with the thinking of some valid Orisha traditions. You can share your knowledge and wisdom without referencing the poor misguided souls in the Diaspora once in a while, every grain of spiritual thought from the Motherland does not have to be lauded over the Diaspora. We are all trying to learn from each other to better complete the knowledge.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 1:11 PM
                      ***"If that is not enough to conclude one is ignoring their Head Spirit simply in the act of receiving another is incongrous with the thinking of some valid Orisha traditions."***

ASHE!!! Gracias, Wandering! I was thinking the same thing but didn't even bother to jump back in on that point

Recent topics in "Orisha Devotees"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
what next offlineMelissa 2 November 26, 2014
ITADOGUN 11/24/2014 Fagbemijo Am... 0 November 24, 2014
Receiving Ochanla? T. 10 November 20, 2014
ITADOGUN 11/8/2014 Fagbemijo Am... 0 November 13, 2014