Advertisement

Iyaami Osoronga

topic posted Fri, July 7, 2006 - 5:24 PM by  Spirit Dancer
Share/Save/Bookmark
Aboru Aboye Abosise

Alaafia!

Could anyone on this forum provide information regarding the Iyaami Osoronga? I am Aye, what is formally known in ATR's as a witch. I have been trying to find information regarding the Iyaami Osoronga due to these powerful forces being the tutelary Orisa of Aye.Thusfar, I have found that the gift of Aye can be attained in two very distinct ,manners.The first being... Aye is passed down from mother to daughter and the other being , going through initiation. For many years I have heard people speak of the Iyaami Osoronga as a force that is hostile and in a sense the "Mothers" can be volatile if they are not approached and or appealed to in the correct manner. Some time ago I was given the Oriki for Iyaami Osoronga by a Babalawo and lost contact with him soon afterwards.He instructed on how to appeal to and appease the Iyaami Osoronga, however before I make that connection, I would want to know more.
Advertisement
  • Re: Iyaami Osoronga

Fri, July 7, 2006 - 5:59 PM
    Alafia Spirit Dancer ...
    Here is a little information for you taken from a article I wrote on Oshun

Orisa Oshun, direct descendant of the power of the seven mothers who generated the human species in the world, daughter of the IYAMI, mother of ancestral mothers of the humanity .

Oshun is the carrier of the Ache of the IYAMI, she is considered a IYAMI, by the power to control the gestation of all Earth things. IN the beginning of times Olodumare said to IYAMI OSORONGA, "Your ASHE, will be to maintain the world...this ACHE will be represented in a bird holding a closed pumpkin... Exercise your Ache...wisely...

IYA MI AJE OSORONGA is one of the names given with which the feminine power is known the fecundity of this ancestral divinity of all the humanity. That pumpkin represents the Uterus of life , full of seeds and hopes to grow. That is the intrauterine life where all heads of creation and their symbol are developed. OSORONGO is a exotic bird ( of showy colors whose sounds reproduce its own name ) The grandmothers of all mothers ,and mothers in the act ,Oshun, from her older lineage incarnates the responsibility of thee standard order of things, as also she reacts against the imprudence and negligence of the man when she acts in the natural order.

Fri, July 7, 2006 - 9:46 PM
    Aboru, Aboye, Abosise,

I vaguely remember a similar thread somewhere, either here or in the Santeria tribe.

Thanks for starting this thread though... I share your interest, as I am a Aye as well... born to it; born to a family of women witches... so your post caught my eye. :D

And thanks to Tomas for the snippet of info. I appreciate it as well.

Fri, July 7, 2006 - 11:05 PM
      Aje is both a spiritual power as well as the humans who use that power. Both men and women can have Aje, however it's owners and controllers are women. Aje captures the concept of creation as well as the force of justice and retribution, a balance that completes pairs , this force can creates/destroy, harm/heal. Aje maintains social harmony by enforcing earthly and cosmic laws and ensuring humans follow these earthly and cosmic laws or or else be punished for transgressing from these laws.

Oduduwa is the mother or "womb" and Aje are the daughters of Oduduwa. Aje is naturally passed down from mother to daughter, however the can also be invoked via initiation.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 12:06 AM
      Alaafia Ndelamiko

I have not read the thread you are referring too, however I am interested in doing so. I also come from a long line of witches. Growing up I knew that there was something very oddly different about my experiences.. Travelling astrally,visions, prophetic dreams.All of which were quite confusing for me. I can honestly say that I have evolved pass the stage of confusion. I would also like to add that I follow the tradionalist path of Ifa/Orisa.

May Olodumare , Egun, Orisa continue to uplift and protect you in all that you set out to do in life.
      Ase O!

Adabo
      • Unsu...

Re: Iyaami Osoronga

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 9:40 AM
        bless

it is to my understanding that a woman may pass to iyaami osoronga after menopause, in her crone stage of life.

ashe

Fri, July 14, 2006 - 10:50 AM
          I heard that too...and I also heard something about women ONLY being initiated purposely to Aje at that time as well. If someone knows for sure, let me know. So, I suppose I got it from my MAMA...lol..I am Aje as well...we should form a singing group cause there are a lot of us...lol. But SpiritDancer, I agree with you cause I've always had dreams that spoke to me and manifest in this realm, also speaking too much and causing the very thing I've said to happen. When I was little it scared me a little, but it's grown on me now. I good with it. The first time I remember was when I was in the fifth grade and this annoying boy wanted to take me to the prom. I was so upset by it (don't ask me why) I said "ooooh I hope he break his leg!" I remember it distinctively. Do you know a few days before the prom, that boy leg was broke? I was like "Did I do that?" that's when I started to be conscious of it. After that, it was obvious and after awhle, I started doing it on purpose. It's not always purposeful, but I've learned that spoken word is such a powerful tool and should be used wisely, and most definitely for good. If you don't want to manifest something, don't say it AT ALL!!! You give power to it, and it may be something you definitely don't want to handle.

Ase,
          K
          www.lulu.com/kioni_carter
  • Unsu...

Re: Iyaami Osoronga

Wed, July 19, 2006 - 11:27 AM
    Well is it possible to have a child that is Aje, who has to be initiated to the Aje Cult, and you are not Aje yourself? Could her father have given it to her? Or could it skip generations, and turn up on the child, but miss the mother?

Sun, August 6, 2006 - 6:01 PM
      Aboru Aboye Abosise

The information I am about to share with you stems from the Indigenous Orisa point of veiw...

Aje:

From what I have learned so far....Aje is passed down from mother to daugther. Aje is a feminine/contractive energy. Aje is a force that is naturally connected to the female prinicple. It has the power to create or destroy so that re-birth is possible and balance is restored. All women carry the power for creation and destruction through the womb. There is also power of the word. The ability to use ones Aje to create reality for the person using ghe word as well as those around them.. Aje is both a spiritual power as well as the humans who exercises that power.

Ohter points, I would like to state in regard to feminine ecessence and or principle are as follows:

Broken down, we will find that our creator is also a feminine principle and or force.

OLO= Spirit
      Odu= Womb
      (Osu)mare= Rainbow Serpant

Olodumare means Spirit of the womb of the rainbow serpant.....

Then we have Onile, which literally means "Mother Earth"....
      Do you women see where I am heading ? The very foundation of our existence evolved from a feminine principle.

Iyaami Osoronga influences culture values within any given community, Iyaami Osoronga seeks balance.
      Let say for instance, in Nigeria, a woman is being abused by her husband and she has tried everything in her power to remedy the situation , however has failed in her efforts. She would go to the Ogboni council and they in turn would try to remedy the situation, and lets say their efforts also fail.It is then that this women will seek out the help of the council of Iyaami to take care of this situation on a spiritual level.

Aje,Iyaami, Onile, all are considered to be a multi layered organization of entities , each serving its own pourpose in regard to maintaining balance . The male or masculine principle completes that balance. Women being excluded , I believe has brought about imbalance.

Another point I would like to bring up is the fact that , the meaning of the word Odu is Womb, and it is common knowledge that women are not allowed to see Odu. There is one thing I would like to say regarding that... Why would we as women have to see Odu/Womb when we are in possesion of one, litterally,metaphysically,metaphoricallly etc... So the Odu that speaks on women ont seeing Odu was misrepresented in a way that the layperson would believe we as women are "not allowed" , when in reality that is not the case. Makes sense?

Recent topics in "Orisha Devotees"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Anyone near Buffalo, NY? steve 1 September 28, 2014
ITADOGUN 9/21/14 Fagbemijo Am... 0 September 25, 2014
Leaking Tinaja :( Anna 0 September 7, 2014
ITADOGUN 10/5/2014 Fagbemijo Am... 0 September 5, 2014